Fort Garland, built in 1858, was named for Brevet Brigadier General John Garland, then in command of the Department of New Mexico. This fort was built to protect the settlers. In May of 1866, Kit Carson and his Hispanic 1st New Mexico Volunteer Regiment were ordered to Fort Garland where they
remained until 1867. African American soldiers of the 9th U.S. Cavalry, called "Buffalo Soldiers," also served at Fort Garland from 1876 to 1879.
(click photo )
BACK TO TRAPPERS TRAIL